top of page
Work Rights
During Study

Students on full time degree-level courses holding a student visa are permitted to work in the UK for up to 20 hours per week during university term time and full-time in vacation periods.

Student visa holders can also work full-time during term time if on a work placement that is an integral and assessed part of the course provided it is not longer than 50% of the total course length.

If you hold a student visa for a part time course you will not have the right to undertake any work, paid or unpaid, in the UK.

Post Study

The new ‘Graduate’ route will be open to all international students – including those from India – who have valid UK immigration status as a student and have successfully completed a course of study in any subject at undergraduate level or above at an approved UK Higher Education Provider. The visa will allow eligible students to work, or look for work, in any career or position of their choice, for two years after completing their studies.


Graduate visa

A Graduate visa gives you permission to stay in the UK for at least 2 years after successfully completing a course in the UK. You can apply for a Graduate visa if all the following are true:

  • you’re in the UK

  • your current visa is a student visa or Tier 4 (General) student visa

  • you studied a UK bachelor’s degree, postgraduate degree, or other eligible course for a minimum period with your student visa or Tier 4 (General) student visa

  • your education provider (such as your university or college) has told you you’ve successfully completed your course


How long you can stay

A Graduate visa lasts for 2 years. If you have a PHD or other doctoral qualification, it will last for 3 years. Your visa will start from the day your application is approved.

bottom of page