top of page
Work Rights

While on a student visa in Canada, study permit holders can work up to 20 hours per week during regular school terms/semesters. You can work more than 1 job to make up these hours as long as you continue to meet the conditions of your study permit.

You can work full-time if you’re on a scheduled break, such as winter and summer holidays, or a fall or spring reading week. You’re free to work overtime or work 2 part-time jobs that add up to a higher than usual number of hours. You must be a full-time student both before and after the break to work full-time. You can’t work during a break that comes before you start your very first school semester.

As an international student, upon graduation, you have an opportunity to work in Canada for up to three years. You will need to apply for work permit under the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP). You don’t need a job offer to apply and can work anywhere in Canada in any occupation, even if it’s unrelated to your studies.

Your spouse or common-law partner may be eligible for an open work permit if you have a valid study permit:

  • are eligible for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP) and

  • are a full-time student at one of these types of schools

  • a public post-secondary school, such as a college or university, or CEGEP in Quebec

  • a private college-level school in Quebec

  • a Canadian private school that can legally award degrees under provincial law (for example, Bachelors, Masters or Doctorate degree)

bottom of page